Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Day #28: The Connoisseur

 Have you heard of a connoisseur? Here is a definition from Merriam-Webster:









What are you an expert in? Begin today by brainstorming the little things you do well. Do you make the perfect grilled-cheese sandwich? Can you fold a fitted-sheet with dexterity?

Spend two minutes thinking of things you are adept at. Here is my list:

  • #IowaSky (I try to notice the subtle differences each time I look up; I often post photos to twitter with this hashtag)
  • Gravel runs (I've spent hundreds of hours running the same gravel roads)
  • lines of memorized poems run in my head (they pop in unexpectedly)
  • Macaroni salad (my signature dish)
  • finding 4-leaf clovers (I'm really good at this!)
After you brainstorm, select one to explore in a poem. Remember how images and metaphors help readers experience your poem richly.

Here is mine:

My mind works like a
a top-loading Maytag
thoughts sudsing
in the wash cycle:
a tune from the radio
and pick up the rug at Servicemaster
rubbing up against
where did I put the chapstick
and Colin’s birthday is Wednesday.

Like so many beige towels and
gray t-shirts
impressions
churn to the top
then work their way
under again
with flashes of poems
–a red sock!–
startling my day.

13 comments:

  1. My pancakes are the best to offer
    Like the fluffiest clouds and the softest pillows
    With great taste too my pancakes are

    Like so many others
    On the skillet or pan
    Cook on the bottom, get all brown then flip
    Once the raw side cooked, a perfect pancake cooked on both sides
    A nice golden brown like the leaves in fall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Straight lines
    They make it pleasing to look at.
    Maybe even a two way cut
    Will look even better.

    Everytime I press play
    To make the music start,
    And every pull of the starter.
    I get into the zone and get the job done.
    Some may even call it,
    The Mow Zone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the assonance of "the mow zone"!

      I'm grinning to think that you are a connoisseur of mowing! YES!

      Delete
  3. Agility courses through the system like blood,
    Tiny bolts of sugar-filled candy crud.
    Typing had always been easy,
    Never slowing down in fear of becoming queasy.

    And like turning water into wine,
    It's words into lines.
    Though without meaning,
    It keeps them reading.
    Endlessly marching on.

    And thus away to tyrants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially like
      "turning water into wine...
      words into lines"

      Delete
  4. The figure stands on the page,
    Nothing but a rough skeleton at the moment
    The simple pencil lines beg
    For a working leg, a fleshy arm

    As I draw the character head to toe
    I take in the image playing through my mind
    And sketch it all down
    Leaving a body with no eyes

    The figure blushes, embarrassed by the lack of clothes
    And I start to draw the basics over it
    A shirt, a skirt, a pair of socks
    A bag on her back, some bread for a snack

    I draw her hair
    Long flowing,
    Impractical in real life
    Useful in her story

    She’s almost complete
    But something is missing
    I stare at the face
    But she doesn’t gaze back

    I finally draw the eyes
    The glowing, happy eyes
    Thanking me for finishing her
    As she jumps off the page

    She runs around, meeting new friends
    All the other creations I’ve made
    And as I lay down for bed
    I happily think about her adventures in my head

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The simple pencil lines beg
      For a working leg, a fleshy arm" (SO GOOD!)
      I love how you personify the figures' embarrassment when not yet dressed!
      I love how you blended your art with poetry in this piece!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baking and Cooking
    My not-so-secret talent
    Learned from generations
    Perfected with each addition

    Concentration
    A skill hard to find now
    Can be learned

    ReplyDelete
  7. Balance
    From one foot to the other...
    or from one hand to the other.
    Balance is a hard skill to learn.
    You become better and better,
    but balance will always throw you off.
    I have tamed the beast we call balance,
    but even tame animals go wild sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the taming of the beast that goes wild! (You must try the unicycle!)

      Delete

Day #30: Final Poem!

Let's wind up our month of poetry writing with a poem about... our month of poetry writing! Consider an epistolary poem (letter form) wr...