Friday, April 30, 2021

Day #30: Final Poem!

Let's wind up our month of poetry writing with a poem about...

our month of poetry writing!

Consider an epistolary poem (letter form) writing to any of the following:

  • your fellow poets
  • your poems
  • your notebook
  • your heart
  • your muse
  • the chair you sit in when you write
  • your inner critic
Mine is a sonnet that I wrote at the end of daily poetry writing last April. My intended audience was the people who wrote with me on Ethical ELA. As you'll see, I was inspired to bring the joy and learning of daily poetry writing to my students--which is how this 2021 project was born! Thank you for joining me this month. Write on!


From April one to thirty, close of day
I wrote a verse according to the plan.
“Just do the verb to be the noun,” they say–
I think, I think, I think, I think I can.
The Little Engine could, and so could I.
With fuel of gentle comments for my words
My willingness to share was magnified.
I chugged and chugged because my thoughts were heard.
How can I recreate what happened here?
How can this vision turn into a plan?
How can I help my students face their fear?
My LIttle Engine chugs: “I think I can.”
I think, I think, I think, therefore I am.
This Little Engline celebrates: iamb.

8 comments:

  1. 30 days of writing
    From day 1 to that last day
    We wrote all kinds of poems we lay
    We wrote verses about our life and stories
    I put down my thoughts and typed my theories
    My poetry-writing magnified
    With different poems and thoughts I was mystified
    When writing these poems more I see and hear
    This 30-day project writing poems dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parker, it has been a joy reading your poems this month. THIRTY POEMS! That's fantastic! I especially liked the words "magnified" and "mystified." I, too, find that I see and hear (and notice!) more when I am writing daily.

      Delete
  2. After 30 days of writing
    I’m not sure how to feel
    I thought I was supposed to complete
    But I just feel

    Missing

    I started out of curiosity
    What would happen in the end
    I wanted to know
    But now…

    I’m not sure what to do
    I haven’t won anything,
    I haven’t lost something,
    But did I?

    I need to write more
    I haven’t gotten it all out
    So I’ll continue to type
    Type, type, type

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addie, I FEEL your poem! I sense you have experienced a tiny transformation from this. I want you to keep coming to the page. Let me know if you need prompts. Share with me.

      Delete
  3. 30 Days of writing,
    that's pretty exciting.
    Words are often rhyming,
    using trochee typing!

    Im sad it's coming to and end,
    but now it is a brand new trend.
    Show your poems, share or send.
    It's something I would recommend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ADORE this poem! I was tickled by "using trochee typing!"

      Your rhythm in the second stanza is fantastic! I'm so glad you wrote with me this month!

      Delete
  4. Days of writing
    You would’ve thought it boring
    But it opens your mind
    And lets thing off of your chest

    I think that daily writing has helped everyone
    at one point or another
    It has helped me in many different ways
    I am sure it has other people too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each day I looked forward to reading your poems and watching how your poet's voice grew. Thank you for participating (and investing in yourself as a writer).

      Delete

Day #30: Final Poem!

Let's wind up our month of poetry writing with a poem about... our month of poetry writing! Consider an epistolary poem (letter form) wr...