You may have heard the expression "if walls could speak..."
Today we will give voice to an object we love:
What would your baseball glove say?
What would your old stuffed elephant say?
What would your fishing pole say?
First, think of several objects you cherish. Try to come up with five before choosing one to write about. (I chose the small black accordion I keep in the classroom.)
Now, take on the persona of your object. Give it a voice! What would it say? Try to reveal the essence of the object through your word choice and the story you tell!
Black Ballerini
I was born in Italy
late 1940s
birthed with 5000 siblings
by quasi-artisans.
Shipped to America,
I landed between the hands
of a lazy child who
tried (not very)
to draw music from my
heaving (if small)
bellows.
Then:
the years on a shelf
were at first
relief–
then punishment
as must crept into mildew.
My joints grew tight
my wax grew soft
then hard and bitter.
Who knew I had life left
to give?
It was an EBay listing
coupled with New Year’s Eve optimism
landing me
between the pressing palms
of
(???)
an English teacher?
She adored me
yes.
But adoration does not
play an accordion.
I accepted fate:
I might not play music, but
I was at least uncloseted.
And then
–years later–
again at New Year’s Eve
she resolved
to play a song
with both hands.
We did it,
she and I.
I am now the classroom accordion.
Here in Room #408
I demand center stage.
Each week
I celebrate
Happy Birthday
–both hands–
for
blushing
smiling
students
while celebrating
my own
rebirth.

The Piano
ReplyDeleteI was born in a music shop
late 1930s
given birth with 36 string siblings and 36 keys
I ended up in a thrift shop
After a life somewhere in America
When a family of 5 came in and bought me
Then they moved me to their house
Under the soft light of a lamp I now lay to present day
And I was landed beneath the fingers of an eager person
Just a boy but eager to play me
I am now the piano that sits in the Brock family's living room
Here the high-school boy plays and practices with me
Still today after all these years
It's fun to think of the journey your piano was on before it found you! (Do pianos have 88 keys?)
DeleteA Penguin Named Binky
ReplyDeleteI was enjoying life
Sitting on a white shelf
In the aquarium gift shop
Of the Henry Doorly Zoo
All of a sudden
A tiny human runs up to me
And grabs me off my shelf
Bringing me to a taller human
The tiny human begs her tall human
To buy me since I looked sad
It did get kinda boring up here
Sitting on this plain white shelf
Her tall human agrees
And the tiny human jumps in joy
I am purchased, she takes me off the counter
I join the family of humans
We walked around the zoo all day
And then we go to her house
When I get to her room,
I’m greeted by the penguin circus
A penguin with a bow tie,
A penguin beanie boo
A penguin night light
And a penguin that turned into a pillow too
She gave me a name
She named me Binky
She took care of me
She took me everywhere
Not even a year later,
I was raggedy, dirty,
Her parents tried to put me in the wash
But I never came out as clean as I had been
My eyes got banged up
My fur got matted
Yet that tiny human still love me
And that’s all that matters
Many more penguins joined the fray
And I had friends everyday
But eventually, she grew up
And she didn’t take me everywhere anymore
I’m still important
This is true
I sit on her beanbag
Next to some other stuffies
She may not take me everywhere
She may not hold me tight
She may not play with me
She may not sleep with me at night
But I’m still important
And this I know
I still sit on her beanbag
With her to grow old
Addie, I love the surprise of arriving at a home already filled with penguins! I also really liked the anaphora in the penultimate stanza!The ending is bittersweet.
DeleteIf the mirror could talk...
ReplyDeleteI see you every day,
always that same beautiful smile.
But you don't think that.
You look at me with disappointment.
I wish I could help,
to make your day better.
I love to see you happy,
and never want to make you sad.
Oh my. This poem made me gasp. You have written with piercing honesty. I wish I could tell your mirror to convince you of your beauty: inside and out.
DeleteMy football
ReplyDeleteIf my football could talk what would it say?
Would it talk about the great adventures?
Or
The laughter of being stuck in mud?
It would probably talk about its powers
To bring people together
Even if it is only for a short while
It would talk about the days its seen
The hot summer days
The cool autumn nights
And even the brisk winter fumbling in the snow
It would talk about the people
The tall and short
The strong and weak
The only similarities is the smile on their face
It would talk about the homes
From places close and far
The backyards and parks
And even the side of an highway
That football is so special to me
It does still get used
Because after all, a ball needs love too.
Oh I loved "a ball needs love too" at the end!
ReplyDeleteI appreciated your attention to form (4-line stanzas) and your keen sense of what the football feels. Bravo.