Today's prompt sprouts from J. Ruth Gendler's “The Book of Qualities.”
Gendler personifies traits such as this:
“Anxiety is secretive. He does not trust anyone, not even his friends, Worry, Terror, Doubt and Panic … He likes to visit me late at night when I am alone and exhausted. I have never slept with him, but he kissed me on the forehead once, and I had a headache for two years …”
Here are lines from other traits she examines:
Despair has “stopped listening to music.”
Courage “looks you straight in the eye…knows first aid…is not afraid to weep…has made the journey from loneliness to solitude”
Beauty “will dance with anyone brave enough to ask her.”
Excitement wears orange socks.
Pain’s “voice is hoarse from crying and screaming…if you face him directly, he will give you a special ointment so your wounds don’t fester.”
Anger “sharpens kitchen knives at the local supermarket on the last Wednesday of the month.”
Blame “keeps a pharmacist’s scale at the corner of his desk.”
-----------------------
Your challenge is to personify a trait. You may write in prose-poem form or arrange your ideas on the page like a more traditional poem, as I did. Here is a list of traits to choose from!
I chose "Strong."
Strong
You’ll meet Strong’s
public face first:
muscles in the gym
don’t mess with her.
Then you’ll meet her
softer side:
endurance through pain
speaking up
she’ll stand alone.
Then listen deeper
to hear
Strong’s silent self:
answering
to be
or not to be
with
Be.
Thanks to Ethical ELA for many of the prompts I'm adapting for my students this month.
Fear
ReplyDeleteShe slaps you in the face.
Fear pops out of nowhere,
where you least expect it.
Fear ruins a beautiful day
with a thought of a thunder storm.
Don't pay attention to her.
Fear only gets stronger if you believe her.
But Fear also protects.
Letting you know
you are at risk.
Fear holds you back
when the consequences could hold you back longer.
Get to know Fear
before you trust her too much.
Oh, Nicole! This is AWESOME! I was all in on the first paragraph (face-slapping!) and then I loved the TURN when you acknowledge our need for Fear. Your final lines are gold.
DeleteGreed
ReplyDeleteHe's hiding everywhere
Greed is inside each and every businessmen
No matter how small or large
Greed ruins our most honorable intentions
with the thought of getting something out of it for yourself
Greed only gets stronger the more you get
But greed however evil has a good side too
Greed inspires you to push yourself to the limit
He pushes you to become better
He inspires better social and economic outcomes
If you get to know greed
know his good side
Parker, I enjoyed how you used the form Nicole did, including the turn midway. I like Greed hiding, ruining our "honorable intentions." You make a good point that Greed might be a motivator--but watch for the dark side!
ReplyDeleteHope
ReplyDeleteHope is a guardian angel
Stretching their feathered wings to protect you
From the stretching black tendrils
Of despair
Hope wraps their arms around you
Hope keeps you safe through the tough times
Hope is always there, waiting to protect you
They know their place
They know they cannot function without their counterpart, despair
But no matter how mean and strong despair gets,
Hope can protect you, save you
Hope stands by your side no matter how hard things get
Hope will not, can not abandon you
Addie, your contrast between hope and despair is powerful. The opening stanza with "feathered wings" and "stretching black tendrils" is both visual and tactile. I hadn't thought about hope "needing" despair, but you are right that "There is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast." (Herman Melville, Moby Dick)
ReplyDeleteLoneliness
ReplyDeleteHe doesn’t like confrontation
Or being close at all
He wants to be alone
But feel a person's embrace
He closes off from
Everything
Everyone
To keep his space
His best friends
Are the tears
That visit every night
Only they don’t want to come