Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Day #7: We Wear the Masks

 Do you remember at the beginning of the school year watching the short film about how we hide our identities behind facades? Here it is if you want to refresh your memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikGVWEvUzNM

Today's model poem is by Paul Laurence Dunbar – 1872-1906

Born on June 27, 1872, Paul Laurence Dunbar was one of the first African American poets to gain national recognition. His parents Joshua and Matilda Murphy Dunbar were freed slaves from Kentucky. His parents separated shortly after his birth, but Dunbar would draw on their stories of plantation life throughout his writing career. By the age of fourteen, Dunbar had poems published in the Dayton Herald. While in high school he edited the Dayton Tattler, a short-lived black newspaper published by classmate Orville Wright. (From Poets.org)


We Wear the Mask
by Paul Dunbar

We wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile
And mouth with myriad subtleties,

Why should the world be over-wise,
In counting all our tears and sighs?
Nay, let them only see us, while
     We wear the mask.

We smile, but oh great Christ, our cries
To thee from tortured souls arise.
We sing, but oh the clay is vile
Beneath our feet, and long the mile,
But let the world dream otherwise,
     We wear the mask!

-----------------------------

Use Dunbar's poem as a jumping point to write a poem about masks. Take this any direction, any form. Here is where I went with mine:

End of the Mask Mandate
by Allison Berryhill

Our mandate ended on this day–
The students came without delay
Unmasked! Released! The virus done!
So free at last, the battle won!
Such ignorance was on display.

My cousin died on Monday last.
The COVID blood clots took him fast
At 58, his family stunned
I wear the mask.

I may be safe; I’m now immune.
But maskless piper plays his tune
And children skip with happy gait,
to quarters tight and congregate
Unmasked, they feel too safe too soon.
I (still) wear the mask.

-----------------

Remember you don't need to write about COVID masks...that's just one option. 

11 comments:

  1. The year that which COVID struck
    And everything just got stuck
    COVID shut everybody down
    To live our lives we asked how

    But now the vaccine is out and COVID is dimming
    Now we seem to getting to winning
    But even with our success I fret
    COVID isn't done with us yet

    Our mask mandate is gone
    But this only helps the pandemic carry on
    People still get sick every day
    We need to wear masks to keep COVID away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good use of rhyme! I like seeing you experiment with form!
      I fret
      us yet
      is a good rhyme!

      Delete
  2. We all wear a mask
    Why is the question I ask
    Is it because who lack confidence
    Or because being new puts us on the fence
    Why do we want to hide?

    Is there a reason not to see
    Or because we disagree
    With our own self sense
    Why don’t we change?

    We don’t we take the task
    Of finding why we don’t bask
    In the feeling of not being tense
    Isn't’ that what you need to de
    Why don’t we change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danté, you have again voiced a strong message in your poem. I especially liked "or because we disagree with our own self sense."

      Delete

  3. I wear my mask
    Not only the cloth on
    My face protecting others
    From what I could carry
    But one concealing my emotions

    The second mask is invisible
    No one but I know it is there
    Holding in my thoughts that
    Are running rampant as I am
    Overwhelmed by my surroundings

    People go about like normal
    While I sit here and focus on my breath
    In and out
    In and out
    I do this to conceal
    I do this to mask

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, Mary, this is powerful. Your final stanza, focusing on the breath, in and out, in and out, as a way to "mask" is intense. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. We walk down the halls, going about our day
    Spewing the nonsense we like to say,
    But someone hides in the bathroom stalls
    As everyone else walks through the halls

    They reach for what’s supposed to be their face
    Only to find it has been replaced
    With a smiling mask, pure white as can be
    Stuck on their face, though no one can see

    They leave the stalls with nothing more than a smile
    But their mask begins to break after a while
    They begin to pick up the pieces holding them in their hands
    Wanting someone to understand

    But then, someone asks are you okay?
    They try and make their day
    Piece by piece, the mask breaks
    As they begin to shake

    The one cries into the arms
    Hoping to feel safe from harm
    And now their mask has disappeared
    And their stormy day has been cleared

    So reach out a hand to those in need
    To grow hope, you must plant the seed
    You never know what a person’s going through
    You never know what masks they put up for you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Addie, I love your allusions to the short film, while making this poem your own. Your use of rhythm and rhyme is excellent! Your final paragraph is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Their recommended,
    not required"
    Masks in school
    are undesired.

    I wear mine
    almost all the time.
    Its for the best,
    so I don't whine.

    We all want to be free this June.
    Everyone's becoming immune.
    We are on the right track but..
    Is it too soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nichole, I'm delighted to see you experimenting with rhyme! YAY! Super job. Your three stanzas carry an easily determined ABCB pattern! I hear iambic rhythm coming though.
      Your required/ undesired rhyme was super strong!

      Delete
  7. Masks of Immortality

    Fate is a kindred soul,
    Born nought of hate nor love,
    So to provide for this oversight,
    They were given masks that fit like a glove.

    These masks help them in their guide,
    A judgement never just nor divine.
    Playing gods, Fate decides.
    Gambling away others lives.

    But oh those masks were stolen away,
    By some visiting humans one day.
    Forcing divinity back to its gargoyle-like state.
    The children begin to play.

    Given power of all yet none,
    Humans fool themselves at once.
    To believe they controlled fate itself,
    But in reality they had mere masks.

    A mask can paint a thousand words,
    But the pure emotions are what count.
    So when those put the fragile beasts on,
    They lost their mind.

    ReplyDelete

Day #30: Final Poem!

Let's wind up our month of poetry writing with a poem about... our month of poetry writing! Consider an epistolary poem (letter form) wr...