Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Day #6: I Don't Want to Be

Part of deciding what you want to be is knowing what you DON'T want to be. Today's model poem is by Christian Wiman, titled  I Don’t Want to Be a Spice Store."  

As you read it, think about WHO Wiman wants to be, what kind of a person? 

Here are the opening lines:

I don’t want to be a spice store.
I don’t want to carry handcrafted  Marseille soap,
or tsampa and yak butter,
or nine thousand varieties of wine.

………

Notice that after describing the "spice store" he doesn't want to be, Wiman TURNS the poem and begins writing about the "kind of store" he does want to be:

I want to be the one store that’s open all night
and has nothing but necessities.
Something to get a fire going
and something to put one out.
………..

I encourage you to read the entire poem (it's not long, and you can also click on the link and hear the poet read it himself).

Then use the poem as your diving board to explore what you DON'T want to be (and maybe what you DO want to be).  Here is mine. Notice that I do not say explicitly what I DO want to be; I let the reader infer that from the "don'ts."

I Don't Want to be a Yellow Legal Pad
by Allison Berryhill

I don’t want to be a yellow legal pad.
I don’t want to be the surface
on which thought-filled people press ideas.
The yellow page absorbs the pressure of
urgent pens
digging two, three pages deep:
indententations of intentions.

I don’t want to be the
receptacle.
I don’t want to be the canvas
underneath the Starry Night.

I don’t want to be the
oil pan catching the dripping muck
beneath the chassis.

20 comments:

  1. I don't want to be a restaurant
    I don't want to be the table where people drop messy food
    The restaurant is the place where people meet
    Gossip and eat

    I want to be the jazz club
    The one that's open all day
    and has the best music
    Jazz music to get people going
    and jazz to lift people's spirits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parker, I LOVE the second stanza where your poetry sings! Awesome!

      Delete
    2. Hi Parker,
      Your desire not to be a restaurant reminds me of my waitressing days in high school and college. Sometimes the tables were pretty gross! A jazz club is a much better choice. Have you been to New Orleans? That city has the best jazz clubs. Your poem lifts my spirits as I recall a week in NOLA.

      Delete
  2. I don't want to be,
    The smaller me from before.
    The one who knew nothing,
    The one who caused pain.

    I don't want to see,
    The anguish it had caused,
    The terror I had wrought,
    Without any cause.

    I don't want to be,
    The many of myself,
    That currently all scream,
    To be released upon the world.

    I don't want to be,
    The sassy british twat,
    Because despite his intelligent demeanor,
    It's emotion that he lacks.

    I don't want to be,
    The jovial little girl,
    Who feels too much too fast,
    And leaves us more hurt than the last.

    I don't want to be,
    The void of emotion,
    A being without gender,
    Who never knows what to say.

    I just want to be,
    The me that I know,
    But I don't know who I am,
    What an impossible goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This line rings with hope: "I don't want to be,
      The smaller me from before."
      I hear you arriving in this poem. Welcome to Ariel.

      Delete
    2. Ariel,
      Your pi touches on many complicated emotions and the quest for identity. I suspect you’ll be greeting yourself myriad times over the years. We humans are complicated and constantly evolving. Embrace each Nee you along the journey.

      Delete
    3. *poem.
      Sorry, I’m the typo queen! 😂

      Delete
  3. I don't want to be a jar
    I don’t want to hold things for a long time
    For which the substance will begin to stick
    Leaving a grimey trail behind
    Making it hard to get clean or to feel fine.

    I don’t want to be the last resort.
    I don’t want to be the nicest glass
    Or the most unused.

    I want to have an open mouth.
    To sing all of the days.
    I want to be colorful for a kids delectation
    And hold only the best of treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dante, You have embraced the power of metaphor in this poem. Your intentional word choice (substance...stick...grimey trail) is solid! I felt deep resonance in this line: "I don't want to be the last resort." Your final stanza reaches beyond the metaphor of jars/glasses when we experience the singing of the cookie/candy jar! YES!

      Delete
    2. Dante,
      The line “I want to have an open mouth” complicates your poem in its two meanings: the mouth of a jar from the first stanza and the mouth of a person who sings. This is hard to do. Congratulations on extending the image throughout the poem.

      Delete
  4. I don't want to be a backpack.
    I don't want to be a weight on someone's shoulders,
    that's dreading me every minute,
    waiting just to be thrown on the floor at the end of the day.
    Who carries all of your assignments that you don't want to do.

    I want to be a pocket,
    who only carries the important things,
    and is always stitched to your side.
    So I won't ever be left behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole! I love this so much! The backpack is such a burden; the pocket is close and helpful. What a great contrast in metaphors!

      Delete
    2. Nicole,
      I love the comparison between a backpack snd pocket. A pocket feels so intimate in comparison. You nailed the utility of the backpack and it’s physical and emotional weight.

      Delete
  5. I don’t want to be a welcome mat
    I don’t want to be the prickly surface
    That people walk on without any second thought
    With my only response to be
    Welcome to my home, ruin my house all you want!
    Welcome to my heart, ruin my life all you want!

    I don’t want to be a front door
    I don’t want to have people
    Pounding on my head, on my heart,
    Shouting for them to let me in
    I don’t want my head to ring
    From them forcing their way into my life
    No matter how locked it is on the other side

    I want to be a small, red, 2 x 2 lego square
    I want people to see me and know that I am there
    I want them to notice my existence and build me into something great
    I want them to make me amazing
    I want them to remember that I am human
    And when they walk on me,
    I want them to feel a sharp pain in their foot
    Their reminder that I am human too,
    And you can’t walk on whoever’s feelings you want

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW! Your contrast of welcome mat and lego block is amazing! You've used anaphora, personification, glorious word choice...I simply love the idea of being a Lego: Hey, don't walk on me.

      Delete
    2. Angie,
      I’m very impressed w/ the image of a lego block you’ve developed here. Wouldn’t it be something if every time someone hurts another person the one doing the hurting experienced the pain of stepping on a lego block. The world would be a much kinder place. And your house imagery is an important trope in literature, but you’ve added fa fresh perspective in your use of personification.

      Delete
    3. *Addie,
      Apologies for mistyping your name. 😬

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't want to be a bottle of paint
    I don't want other people to take all
    That is in me and use them for their own
    Creating masterpieces but at my expense

    I don't want to be a paint brush
    I don't want to be smushed around
    Smearing paint and being pushed
    Up against the canvas again and again

    I want to be the easel
    Being able to hold up others
    And supporting myself while
    Helping the creativity of others grow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love how you built on the art metaphor in each stanza. What a lovely hope to support both yourself and others.

      Delete

Day #30: Final Poem!

Let's wind up our month of poetry writing with a poem about... our month of poetry writing! Consider an epistolary poem (letter form) wr...