Good morning! I'm so glad you stopped by to write a poem. I think you'll like this form. It's called a bop, and although it doesn't rhyme or have a specific rhythm, it follows two patterns:
First, it has a set number of lines in each of its three stanzas, with a one-line refrain at the end of each stanza, like this:
6-line stanza
refrain line
8-line stanza
refrain line
6-line stanza
refrain line
The other aspect of this form is how it uses the stanzas to explore an idea. For today, I'll encourage you to write about a problem, since problems fit this form well.
1) First stanza: Introduce the problem
(REFRAIN)
2) Second stanza: Go deeper, explore the problem
(REFRAIN)
3) Third stanza: Resolve or solve the issue/problem
(REFRAIN)
Here is my poem. My problem is how to return to life after COVID now that so much of my priorities and choices have been changed by COVID. I titled it "March 2021."
March 2021
I felt a lifting
as the thread-thin needle entered my arm.
This body surged toward the light.
breaking the surface, it gasped for air,
stretched to grasp a future
that pulled me aboard.
And now what?
I can/not/will/not return to pre-COVID.
Baptized,
I light a candle
and begin.
This midlife year demands I
stop, assess,
unburden, opt-out,
undo.
And now what?
Before, I did not know it was Before.
During, I harnessed my all.
After?
A shift
and a reckoning.
I ask
Now what?
Your turn! Brainstorm several problems you have faced or are facing. Choose one to examine in a Bop! Good luck!
Here at the lake so early
ReplyDeleteThe dawning makes the lake shine.
The very little geese
That have returned home.
From the grueling journey.
To float on the calm lake.
Oh what a view
The house sits atop a hill
But we can still climb higher
To the goal that we have for the house
The screen porch, deck, garage
All the projects of new and want
Then we will climb that hill again
And once we are at the top of the hill
We can turn and watch the sun awake
Oh what a view
And once at that top
We can finally relax
To view our hard work
We can sit there and watch
The bare lake finally rest
Slowly fading into the golden crepuscule of the day.
Oh wait a view
Oh wow! This is lovely. I am filled with the beauty of what you've created here: the very little geese, the calm lake. I had to look up "crepuscule"! What a great word!
ReplyDeleteHere in our country
ReplyDeleteIn the United States of America
I hear the problems of our nations and see them too
People of different races fight
But the biggest problem of all
Is that our nation is being ripped apart by the left and the right
What do we do?
I will not choose a side
Both sides should work together
Instead of fighting like two children
To run our country smoothly and without constant conflict
I fear that if the Democrats and Republicans continue to be at each others throats
Civil war will erupt and be without end
Filled with fear am I at this horrible prospect
But so little I can do about it
What do we do?
Perhaps I can find some light in this darkness
A ray of hope perhaps that our country can survive
Finding an understanding seems the best way
Though what that understanding is, a mystery to me
For now all I can do is pray and hope the problem resolves
And someday our nation can be holy and unified once again
What can I do?
Parker, you used the form well to explore a heavy problem in our nation. I share your worry.
ReplyDeleteThe words come through harsh and crass,
ReplyDeleteRules of poetry long since pass.
I cringe back in agony at the sight,
Wondering why I had to witness such a fright.
It glared at me without eyes,
Stealing away my very sight.
Woe to the modern style foe.
My soul quenches in pain as it looks on,
In abstract horror,
At the lack of rhyming scheme for me to fawn,
And my heart sinks ever lower.
So do I wish that it wasn't true,
And that the lack of rhymes was a mere rue.
Woe to the modern style foe.
My mind rejects and revolts against the style,
As if fighting tides.
Ignoring the crazed and outright wild,
Ways new people 'rhyme.'
And so I blatantly ignore,
False rules that do preside.
Woe to the order of things.
Ariel, I'm so glad you wrote a poem today! I enjoyed how you layered rhyme onto this non-rhyming form, as a way to enact your thesis!
ReplyDeleteFavorite words: crazed, tides, wondering/witness/woe.
I stare out the window
ReplyDeleteGlancing at the billowing trees
And the tall stalks of corn
With purple flowers waving hello
And a majestic horse
Staring into the sunset
The world I desire
The TV blares
News of hate and rioting
As I sit there,
Wrapped in blankets
With a cup of tea
Wishing for others to be safe
While my dog
Licks my bare toes
The world I desire
I want there to be unity
I want there to be joy
I want there to be love
But there seems to be no unity
There seems to be no joy
There seems to be no love
The world I desire
Addie, these lines are powerful in their imagery. I'm right there with you:
DeleteWrapped in blankets
With a cup of tea
Wishing for others to be safe
While my dog
Licks my bare toes
2020 was going to be our year.
ReplyDeleteA fresh start, brand new.
But 2020 disagreed with us.
First Australia burns up in wildfires,
Then Murder Hornets cause a panic. Kobe Bryant dies in an accident really tragic.
So what's next?
Well,
the stock market crashes,
there are protests for BLM,
Beirut explodes,
and Chadwick Boseman and Ruth Bader Ginsburg die,
and now the west coast is burning up.
But the Coronavirus arrives,
killing almost 3 million people worldwide.
So what's next?
We are forced to stay in our homes, all businesses and schools close,
masks now become a daily routine,
all while racing for a vaccine.
We all agree,
2020 was the worst yet.
Nicole, I appreciate the way you have woven events of the past year into your dismay. This past year has been like no other. Maybe we can say that about every year, but I'll guess 20 years from now you'll be telling your children about 2020.
Delete