The challenge for this poem is to write in the past, present and future.
Think of "who you were" in the past.
Who are you now?
Who do you see yourself to be in the future?
Or focus on a specific aspect of yourself: how you used to play piano; how you play now; how you visualize your playing in the future.
I wrote my poem on Sunday and used yesterday/today/tomorrow literally as I wrote about April 24, 25, and 26th.
Yesterday
the washer quit
my brow was knit
the supper burned
my joke was spurned
my notes were flat
I smelled a rat
Today
I ran the trail
and answered mail
the sun was out
ate brussels sprout
I called my dad
felt not half bad
Tomorrow
I’ll greet each kid
ask what they did
read Shakespeare puns
and call my sons
before bedtime
I’ll write a rhyme
-----------------------
You may choose to write in rhyme, haiku, free verse, skinny poem, nonet, or any form that appeals to you!
Yesterday I wrote
ReplyDeleteI wrote stories of my mind
My words became blurred
Today I wrote more
The dancing of bouncy thoughts
Climbing in my mind
Tomorrow I will
Write, write, write, and write some more
Until my thoughts end
Addie, I like the progression from blurred to bouncy to "write, write, write," which implies order and intentionality. I am enjoying your TODAY and look forward to your TOMORROWS!
ReplyDeleteYesterday I watched
ReplyDeleteI watched the field
with a friend, focused on only what was right in front of us
Today I'll think about yesterday,
and how I want to do it again
and how today I'll shall live the memories over
Tomorrow I'll think of it yet again,
and how each day is a chance for another,
another great day,
of watching the field.
Oh, Aly! It's so great to see your poem here! I like how you built on an original experience (yesterday) that them became a memory (today) that you want to re-experience (tomorrow)!
DeleteI used to play to have fun
ReplyDeleteI could go out into the field to run
Be with my closest friends
And assemble to meet matters end
But now I can’t find time
Because my life of prime
That school work overbears
And take my time for share
So that my soon
Won’t be strewn
I'll be ready
To live life
Your poem is heartbreaking. I want to see the person running on the field...I can't stand how school work eats up the precious energy of youth.
DeleteYesterday
ReplyDeleteI dropped my breakfast,
and left for school fast.
Lots of homework that night,
I was up til midnight.
Today
is better than yesterday,
but the sky is grey.
I'm nervous for our track meet,
especially the heat.
Tomorrow
I'll relax,
I can sit back and eat snacks.
It'll be the weekend
so I'll hang out with a friend
I enjoyed your sojourn into rhyme! The couplets worked well her as you processed the ups and downs of your day. I want you to relax (with snacks!).
Delete