Sunday, April 25, 2021

Day #25: Snapshot Poem

Today's prompt is a photo. What photo? That's up to you!

You might choose an image off your phone, or one in a photo album. 

Maybe you'd like to browse through photos of icebergs or scuba diving and find one that captures your interest.

Then choose one of the two following approaches:

1) Try to describe as vividly as you can the image you see. Remember, as a poet you can use comparisons and metaphors as well as sensory detail to give your reader a strong experience while reading.

2) Write a poem that tells the story BEHIND the photo. What happened before the image was clicked? or what happened after? In telling a story, you are writing what is called a narrative poem.

I'm not sure if you will have success uploading your image in the comments. If it doesn't work, send me the image in an email and I can post it as the owner of the site.

Here is my poem:

Are the
bubbles
her family’s
blessings
descending

or
her
limpid
laughter
rising


My daughter Eloise and her husband John
April 19, 2019




6 comments:

  1. The image of a beautiful sunset on the countryside
    This is the image.
    the beauty I managed to capture on my camera

    I was walking along in the evening
    My camera posed, me looking for the perfect picture
    Then suddenly I saw the sun, leaving the sky and taking her light with her
    I brought my camera up to my face aiming the shot precisly
    Then SNAP! the photo was taken and I had captured the beauty of the setting sun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "the sun leaving the sky and taking her light with her" is a lovely line!

      Delete
  2. She sits on the bronze figure
    Looking at its realistic face
    A child screaming in the background
    Yet she smiles

    Much hadn’t happened that day
    Nothing too exciting has occurred
    But she sits proudly on the worn down giraffe
    She smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'd love to see this photo! Are you the child you're writing about? I love the detail of the child screaming in the background!Do you want to send me the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My picture is me and my family after one of my football games.

    The cool air
    On the hot stuffy day
    Rushed around and around

    The clashing of pads
    The rough pigskin
    The smooth grass
    And clotted earth
    The cheering
    And gasps of air

    Filled my sensations
    To keep driving
    For the perfect picture
    With my family
    Picture Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  5. The smile on my face says I am happy with what I did.
    That I did great,
    with no worries,
    no sadness,
    no care in the world.

    But the picture doesn't show
    the thoughts,
    the regrets,
    the what ifs,
    that were circling
    in my head.

    ReplyDelete

Day #30: Final Poem!

Let's wind up our month of poetry writing with a poem about... our month of poetry writing! Consider an epistolary poem (letter form) wr...