Duality is the condition of containing two parts, often contrasting parts. Consider either/or dualities:
off/on
speaking/silent
laughing/crying
or consider both/and dualities when two :
nervous & excited
exhausted & satisfied
giddy & hopeful
-----------------------------
Today I challenge you to write a duality poem, examining two (or more) sides of something. Use what ever form calls to you!
Here is mine:
CONTRASTS
Melville wrote:
“There is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast.”
I tap my app
at the end
of a run;
it is the going
that gives the stopping
its rippling frisson.
I read the
closing lines
of a thousand-page book:
releasing and relief-ing
goodbye dear friend
my heart swells
and hurts.
Friday-night tired
pushes through my muscles
and settles in my bones;
ah, sublime hour
when the week
meets the weekend.
Flower
ReplyDeleteI pick a flower from the ground
At the end of a long day
I look at it and think of
The double purpose it serves
Used properly it can help
those in medical health
yet at the same bring a poisonus death
That fine razor line
between doth medicine and poison
the double meaning of this
good and evil thing
Oh, I love how you used the Friar's examination of plants in R&J and turned it into a poem! "That fine razor line" is a great line!
DeletePain
ReplyDeleteThe feeling of hard work
Of the improvement
Of the new levels
And the conquered fears
Pain makes you stronger
It builds character
But doesn’t it hurt?
The mistakes
The failure
The unsuccessful
But the pain shows
The way of right
And drives you from the wrong
It tears you down
To rebuild stronger
Because it works
What a great examination of the duality of pain on the way to improvement! I like the "But doesn't it hurt?" line in the middle that guides the "answer" that unfolds in the second half.
DeleteWas it Cupid or Eros who held such a swift bow,
ReplyDeleteSpiking arrows and sharpening them to help it flow,
Through the air on currents of a breath's wind.
Made of innocence yet filled with sin.
If fate is made of chance then I'm afraid I'm lucky,
To hit the 1% out of 99% yet still feel murky.
To claim the persona of the obviously stronger chance,
Only to be claimed by a sire's lance.
To be drenched in excitement yet chilled in fear,
Uncertain as to what bright lights are truly clear.
I don't know what to do with this bud of a poisoned rose,
As my mind ponders and fights over a choice to be chose.
Is it an angler looking for pray,
Or is it a star here to light the day?
Is it the cheese of a baited mouse trap,
Or is it a chance to lay in beauty's lap.
"To be drenched in excitement yet chilled in fear" (Great line!)
DeleteI also really liked " this bud of a poisoned rose."
A bright white fuzzy light
ReplyDeleteGlowing in a dark room
Cuddling the light, I wrap my arms around it
Wishing that I had more of it
More of the burning sensation,
Of the healing touch,
Of the prickly shell,
Of the soft outer layer
But then the light expands,
Until the dark room is gone
And all that is left
Is nothing
I crawl around,
Searching for what used to be
Where did my light go?
What did they do with my light?
Until I stumble upon something that resembles my beloved light
A small, prickly ball, as pitch black as the sky
Tucking it close to my arms, I feel pain,
But peace
Glancing around, I find my light
All around me, hugging me like I hugged it
Knowing that I can’t have light without dark,
Or dark without light
Relieves me
This poem intrigues me. I'd love to talk to you about it tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteI step on to the starting blocks
ReplyDeletewith the baton in hand.
The feeling of nervous excitement
fills my stomach.
I can't stop shaking
yet I'm as still as a rock.
The starting gun goes off
and I run as fast as I can.
The next runner comes closer
as the start line gets further away.
To the hand off so simple
yet very precise.
Wish them luck as they run away.