Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Day #20: Summer Poem

 

Good morning! 

Today's mentor poem is by Jacqualine Woodson's poem "Firefly." Look how she captures summer by focusing on an insect!


It’s almost May
and yesterday
I saw a firefly.

You don’t see
them a lot
in the city.

Sometimes
in the park
in the near dark

one comes out
you’ll hear
a little kid shout

Lightning bug! Firefly!

It’s almost May
and yesterday
I caught a firefly in my hand.

First firefly I
seen in a
long, long time.

Make a wish,
Miss Edna said.
Make a good one.

Firefly wishes always come true.

--------------------

The forecast for Atlantic today is cloudy with a miserable April high of 45 degrees. Together, let's direct our focus to SUMMER and craft imagistic, sensory poems that make us SEE, SMELL, TASTE, HEAR and FEEL.

Think of a specific moment or image that you want to capture. Use crisp words. Pay attention to the sounds of words next to each other. Give us a hot slice of summer pie with a dollop of ice cream on top!

----------------

Berryhill's Poem on the Deck

sparrow has transformed
the grill into her well-appointed
condo

wasp loops by
legs a-dangle,
then rests on my footstool
inches from my ankle

the glass at my elbow
is slippery cold
to my touch

breeze scatters
pistachio shells
across the deck

I turn the page
it is summer
all is well

Berryhill's summer view from her deck.










Miss Lipp's poem uses the nonet form, which you already know:

Summertime meant I was stranded on six Iowa acres.
Landlocked between cornfields, I fantasized of town life.
In my youth, I resented being isolated
but now I see its use:
exploration without hesitation — looking for
hidden kittens in hay,
defending stick castles,
naming each
star

Happy writing!

AB


Thanks to Ethical ELA for many of the prompts I'm adapting for my students this month.

11 comments:

  1. Being in summer I was looking forward
    To being in the beautiful country
    With nothing but cornfields and the woods all around
    I would feel the sun and taste the warm air
    But now I only see cold harsh winter still
    The cold air cuts through the thickest jackets still
    But I still hope summer will come with its shining face
    And stay there for a long time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of TASTING warm air.
      "air cuts through the thickest jackets" Nice line.
      Summer's shining face (nice personification)

      Delete
  2. The cloud's warm yet batted breath lightly plays with my hair,
    As the sun glances down with its warm gaze.
    Bunnies scamper around grass that's fair,
    As I fall to the sidewalk and laze.

    Like a plant, my body absorbs the heat,
    Allowing wind to ward off any notion of burns,
    From the tip of my head down to my feet,
    A perfect time to ponder and learn.

    Then the night creeps up much slower than before,
    And with it comes the stars in the form of small bugs.
    Who, like the stars, seek out to shine even more.
    Embracing the night as though it were a hug.

    I reach my hand up, still having not moved.
    And one cautiously floats away.
    I chuckle to myself and mentally try to soothe,
    The creature lingering out of bay.

    Giving up on my efforts, I finally rise,
    And breathe in the cool gasp of Death's chilled air.
    My mind drags me back inside.
    As mosquitos come out of their lair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious: batted breath or bated breath? I'm mulling your potential meaning. I like the idea of a body=a plant, absorbing heat.
      Interesting how seasons carry an undercurrent of mortality.

      Delete
  3. Baseball

    The smell of fresh cut grass
    Fighting the lovely battle
    With fresh popped popcorn

    The sounds of children's laughter
    The sudden sound of aluminum contact
    And the kernels pop, pop, popping

    The gentle breeze tugging at your shirt
    And the warm sun heat your skin
    The crisp open air

    These sounds comfort
    Old and young alike
    The diamonds of joy

    America's Pastime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending of your poem (diamonds of joy) made me GRIN!
      I also really liked how much sensory detail you used: "the sudden sound of aluminum contact" (I HEAR it!) and the smells battling it out! You took me right to the ball field. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. The cool waves lap at my feet
    Eating them up until my ankles
    Then deciding it doesn’t like my flesh
    And it spits them back out

    This process continues,
    As the warm sun falls
    Across my face
    Illuminating streaks of sunscreen

    Children scream, on land and in the water
    They scream out of joy, playing tag with one another
    They scream with frustration, as the waves eat their sandcastle
    They scream with fear, for they just touched a “shark”

    Parents sit up along the edge
    Talking to one another about adult stuff
    Like their latest struggle, or the newest vacuum that came out
    I don’t know, I’m not an adult

    Snacks in the tote bag make crinkly noises
    Rustling from the small breeze
    And the drinks in the cooler bubble
    Waiting with anticipation to be drunk

    Beach day is one of the best things about summer
    From the fun to the family
    I take in a small breath
    And run into the chilly water

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an original way to look at waves lapping at your feet (and spitting them out)!
    Nice use of anaphora in stanza #2.
    "Their latest struggle...
    or the newest vacuum that came out...
    I don't know; I'm not an adult" HAHAHAHA!
    Snacks crinkling...drinks bubbling...love the imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer is almost here
    I long for the warmth
    It brings to everything

    The smells of
    Fresh cut grass
    Dirty lakes
    Chlorine pools

    The sounds of
    The splashes of
    Our friends as they
    joyfully leap into any
    Body of water

    Longing to touch
    The water as you
    Cannonball right in
    Without any hesitation

    I long for all
    Smells, sounds, and feel
    Of summer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer at the Pool

    About one month to go,
    til summer begins
    and we forget everything we know.

    Put on your new swimsuit
    and dive right in
    to the cool blue water below.

    It's chilly at first,
    it'll cool your skin
    from the summer sun ablaze.

    Splashing your friends
    right in the face,
    and eating icy treats during the breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First Hot Summer Day

    My eyes being blinded by the light
    Shining through my window I get up in excitement
    Rush out the door and feel the warm breeze
    Through my hair and the hot but not too hot
    Pavement under my feet

    I look around and notice the miserable burnt grass but
    Look! a few little green specks peeking out like
    Cherry blossoms blooming

    The first scorching day the feeling was amazing
    The freedom of my outstretched arm to grasp the ruff and dry basketball
    bounced it around shot it few times until my body wept.

    ReplyDelete

Day #30: Final Poem!

Let's wind up our month of poetry writing with a poem about... our month of poetry writing! Consider an epistolary poem (letter form) wr...