Thursday, April 15, 2021

Day #15 - Hope Poem

Poet Emily Dickinson wrote:

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

You can read the entire poem here

Today's challenge is to think of a metaphor for hope. Dickinson used a bird (feathers, perches, sings).
I wrote in haiku form and used the COVID vaccine as my metaphor because I felt such a surge of hopefulness when I got my second dose and knew I could soon gather with my vaccinated family and friends. I then took the metaphor a step further and compared the needle prick to a bee sting. 

Vaccine

Little bee alights
Her stinger Moderna’s kiss
Hope buzzes my veins
-------------

What could be a new, fresh metaphor for hope? Try thinking of answers that could fill in this blank:

Hope is............

Try to think of at least five before you choose one to transform into a poem. You might do something rhyming in the model of Dickinson, or write in haiku form as I did. You also have several other forms in your repertoire to draw on: nonet, skinny poem, an epistolary (the letter-writing form) come to mind as forms that might work for this poem!

Happy writing!

AB

Thanks to Ethical ELA for many of the prompts I'm adapting for my students this month.

9 comments:

  1. Hope

    Hope is like your car keys
    You keep it close to you
    You lose it easily
    But if you rummage around it's usually nearby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like the idea of "keeping it close" then losing it...and needing to "rummage" to find it again.
    Yes, we misplace hope, but should keep it near.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope

    Hopes is like a snake
    It sheds the layers of despair
    To show the shiny prospect of the future
    Always viewed poorly by the world
    But always there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danté, This was striking in its originality. I love the idea of the fresh newness beneath the sloughed skin.

      Delete
  4. Hope is a small, glowing ball of light
    All wrapped up inside of you
    Burning no matter what happens
    No matter who dies, or what plans go awry
    And not letting the black hole of despair
    Overtake your hope
    And in your dying moments, know that
    In hope, there is despair
    In despair, there is hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addie, I love how you explore the interconnectedness of hope and despair. (It reminds me of the oxymoron motif we are tracking in R&J!) I also adore the word "awry," probably because of its place in Robert Burns' poem "To a Mouse." I'm so glad you wrote today! If you've missed any days, go back and fill them in!

      Delete
  5. Hope is like a blade
    The duller it gets the more
    The hope will hurt you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. I didn't think about how hope can betray and even hurt. Do you think sometimes we avoid hoping as a mechanism to avoid disappointment?

      Delete
  6. Hope is an alarm.
    It tells you it is time to make today a good one.
    It wakes you up.
    You go to sleep wondering about it tomorrow.
    You hope your alarm goes off everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Day #30: Final Poem!

Let's wind up our month of poetry writing with a poem about... our month of poetry writing! Consider an epistolary poem (letter form) wr...