Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Day #13: That Memory

Today's prompt asks you to sift through memories of your past nine years of school.

Make a list.

Jot down 12 (I love that number!) images that come to mind when you think of grades K-now. 

Of the memories on your list, which calls out to you as hot, deserving your attention and reflection?


A memory that came to my mind was about swear words. Here's what came of it when I tried to think about all my senses in as I experimented saying cuss words aloud in the privacy of my bedroom when I was maybe 10 or 12. (Lemon button is a type of fern.)


Lesson

Even shut-up was forbidden in our house
so of course I
wanted to cuss

I craved the razor
burning against my tongue
in the privacy of my
blue bedroom
where at the window
a macrame noose held
a flourishing lemon button

Mere words
sparked sensations
spicier than Doritios and
richer than cream
green as the fern
in my pink mouth



9 comments:

  1. Math Class

    Everybody says it's an important skill
    But it's so boring so naturally
    I didn't want to do it

    I sought for this class to end
    Since 6th grade
    I sought to do other, more interesting stuff

    Mere equations sparked a headache
    Nothing I saw but paper and numbers
    A nightmare to me this was
    Blander than saltine crackers
    More numbers than a mathmitican himself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Blander than saltine crackers" was my favorite line!

      Delete
  2. Patience

    One of the words
    That I most heard
    It meant slow down
    Wait your turn
    Distractions

    Patience

    I was told
    It will help you later
    But is being impatience ok
    No no no
    Always let someone go first
    Be Patient

    Patience

    I could but wouldn’t
    I should but couldn’t
    Always when I need it least
    Never where I need it most
    Just be Patient

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the contrasts in this poem as you struggle to be patient while burdened with impatience. Your final stanza really emphasizes the contrasts. Solid.

      Delete
  3. The Giant Chair

    Daily reading was always a competition,
    but why?
    Because of the big black lawn chair
    in the back corner of Mr. Newberg's classroom.

    It was a privilege to sit in that chair.
    You were higher than the rest,
    looking down upon the other kids
    as they sat uncomfortably in their desks.

    But once those minutes were up,
    you return to same level as everyone else
    and waited until it was your turn
    to be the king or queen of the classroom again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great memory! I can just picture the honor of that chair. Good regal imagery to drive it home in the last line.

      Delete
  4. School fairs

    School fairs were
    The highlight of elementary school
    But why might you ask?
    They're just full of junk

    Because that junk was treasure

    That turquoise whistle on a chain
    Was like a chest filled with diamonds
    Those purple vampire teeth
    Were the highest luxury you could afford
    And don’t get me started on
    Anything that glowed in the dark

    But what was so special about
    A piece of plastic
    That we would forget about
    A week later?


    Maybe it was the pride
    Of winning it from musical chairs,
    Or from a relay race,
    Or even jumping roping

    Maybe it was fun
    That came out of that day
    And in winning that small piece of plastic
    It's your reminder of that free day

    Or maybe, it was just that we were kids
    Kids don’t care how much an item is worth
    Kids don’t care about the quality of the item
    All that kids care about it

    Existing in the moment of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each stanza bursts with specific details that suck me right into your memory. Those purple vampire teeth! I love how you take me (your reader) into a larger idea at the close of the moment. Wonderful.

      Delete
  5. The hot, sticky, mushy afternoons,
    Always came with a wind.
    The trees gently blowing,
    Animals nesting safe and sound,
    In the little homes they made.

    Everything at peace,
    Even after the bell rang.

    The noise filtering though the doors,
    Blended in with mother nature,
    As one of her own,
    As it came and went,
    Coming in the morning,
    Leaving in the afternoons.

    ReplyDelete

Day #30: Final Poem!

Let's wind up our month of poetry writing with a poem about... our month of poetry writing! Consider an epistolary poem (letter form) wr...