Monday, April 12, 2021

Day #12: Day Poem

Here's a fun poem to try!

According to NationalToday.com, April 12 is National Grilled Cheese Day!

Think of a day that has special meaning to you, then search the site and discover what else is celebrated on that day.

Or work in reverse: Think of a hobby, interest, or item and search the site to see if there is a holiday for it!

If you can't find a day celebrating your love for juggling or skid loaders (I couldn't find either on the site, but via a Google search, I found that World Juggling Day was celebrated on June 20 last year.), designate your own day for your own desired celebration and write about that!

I chose to write about July 12. Read my poem and see if you can figure out the "National Days" associated with that date and then the reason I chose to write about it. (You can check the day here.)


July 12

It’s simple
as it should be
on National Simplicity Day:
Eat your jello
and pecan pie.
A good day for both.
Give Orangemen Day
a shudder,
since his mother
is from Belfast,
(though I’m loathe
to celebrate fires
of religious hate)
Wink at heterochromia;
pet a husky.

But keep it simple:
absorb the goodness of the sun
inhale the hydrangea
sing a verse of
lullaby.
My heart pumps little
puffs of joy
to know that
12,796 km
as the crow flies
safe in New Zealand
William Wolf Hoegh
turns one.

William Wolf on the day of his birth, July 12, 2020

Thanks to Ethical ELA for many of the prompts I'm adapting for my students this month.


Happy writing!

AB


10 comments:

  1. March 2
    It's easy
    It's simple
    And you should do it
    Like some people do on National Read Across America Day
    Maybe grab a snack
    or a drink
    To go with that good book
    Find a place that you like
    A quiet place or your room
    Open your book
    And just read away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Parker! You KNOW why I love this poem! Thank you for pointing out the simplicity. I love how the last line implies how reading TAKES us away!

      Delete
  2. September 19; National Gymnastics Day

    The sport I do everyday,
    what keeps me excited all day long.
    It makes the wonderful memories that fill my head,
    and introduces us to the forever friends we call teammates.

    It tests your strength, flexibility,
    and even mental toughness.
    That is why I love it.

    So next September 19
    try a handstand or the splits.
    Enjoy it!
    But you can never enjoy it as much as me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your final line made me GRIN! Did you know this day was National Gymnastics Day, or did you look it up for this poem?
      So do you think I can try a handstand next 9/19? :-/

      Delete
  3. June 29th
    My birthday
    It is also
    National Camera Day
    Cameras have
    Come along way
    Newspapers
    Makes big
    Contribution to
    Camera usage
    There are the big
    And the small
    Frozen in time
    And expressions stay

    But the problem
    Is what's behind
    Because in one photo
    It cannot show the rest
    Unrest
    The different emotions
    Boiling over until
    They spill
    And make a collage
    Of tears
    Of sadness
    They remind us
    Of the past
    And the once was
    Because cameras
    Don’t ever lie.
    Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, Danté. This poem got to me. This part was especially powerful as you turned the same word on its head:
      one photo
      ...cannot show the rest
      UNREST

      I hear in your poem a statement about rage and unrest in the news, and sadness. This poem made me feel, think, and pay attention.

      Delete
  4. (Not the prompt but it's a poem I wanted to write-)

    Oh woe be it to my heart to be filled with such venom,
    But how could it have resisted the fangs of her?
    And despite my large barricades and constant affirmation of security,
    She eroded all those walls and began to burn.

    Why must the beautiful rose have such thorns,
    The gorgeous robin holding a Medusa's gaze.
    Did the banshee and siren always sound so similar?
    Did banishment somehow become a form of praise?

    And I know that my thoughts simply run a mock,
    To mistake a lion for a house cat.
    Yet all I hear is a simple cheesy phrase,
    And I feel as though my knees were hit by a baseball bat.

    What I would have traded for a simple minute or two,
    Surrendering the entire night for a second,
    For the mesmerizing beauty of quick sand.
    And I know my soul eternally reckons.

    Now the days drive by and memories are made,
    But all fall dim in compare.
    Why must an angler fish's light be so bright,
    Why do the stars burn one so fair?

    And I know it all as a foolish game,
    For my mind simply yearns to play tricks on me.
    Yet I cannot help but be cruel to myself and allow the strings to pull me along.
    As I drown in the false atmospheric sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always glad when students write "the poem that needs to be written."
      Two of my favorite lines:
      "Did the banshee and siren always sound so similar?
      Did banishment somehow become a form of praise?"

      Hey, is this poem about your CAT? Help!

      Delete
  5. April 10th

    Their fluffy tails
    Wagging as warm arms
    Wrap around them
    Embracing in a hug

    They pant sounds of happiness
    Their pink tongues
    Rolling over
    Their drooling jaws

    Sinking your head
    Into their fluffy fur
    As their black eyes
    Sparkle with joy

    As you kneel your
    Knees into the floor
    Right next to their
    Little bean pad paws

    April 10th seem like any other day
    But its actually National Hug your Dog Day
    So be sure to hold them tight
    And give them a hug for this special night

    ReplyDelete
  6. Addie, This line shocked me in a delightful way: "Little bean pad paws"

    I like seeing how you're playing with form (quatrains, a bit of rhyme).

    These were also very satisfying in their imagery: "They pant sounds of happiness
    Their pink tongues
    Rolling over
    Their drooling jaws"

    ReplyDelete

Day #30: Final Poem!

Let's wind up our month of poetry writing with a poem about... our month of poetry writing! Consider an epistolary poem (letter form) wr...