Sunday, April 11, 2021

Day #11: A Skinny Poem!

 Process

  • A skinny poem has only 11 lines!
  • The first and last lines are the only lines with multiple words.
  •  Lines 2-10 are each one word only.
  • Line 2, 6, and 10 are each the same word!
  • Line 11 uses the same words as line 1, but it can be rearranged for your purposes.
I made a table to number my lines on one side and wrote my poem on the other. As you'll see, I wrote about watching a student who wasn't reading during reading time. The image stayed with me because I'm always trying to figure out how to help students sink into their books.















For ideas, consider moments in the past week that have lodged into your memory for some reason. Or an image of your pet. Or a moment from a holiday.

Consider the image you want to write about and describe the situation in the first line. From there, skinny it on out! You may link a series of skinny poems together for a longer poem.
Happy writing,
AB
Thanks to Ethical ELA for many of the prompts I'm adapting for my students this month.

7 comments:

  1. He loves fishing
    Hook.
    Line
    Sinker
    Waiting
    Hook
    Tense
    Anticipating
    For
    Hook
    Fishing he loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOOK was such a great word to use as your repeated word!I hope you got to fish this weekend!

      Delete
  2. Trying something new
    Mistake
    Fixing
    Itself
    another
    Mistake
    to
    repeat
    again
    Mistake
    Something new to try

    This poem is about everyday mistakes. Don't dwell on it for too long. Just as a wise fish once said "Just keep swimming."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great message. I actually LIKE mistakes! They remind me I'm trying things outside my current realm of expertise :-)

      Delete
  3. Dancing in the rain
    Pain
    Beauty
    Gracefulness
    Bliss
    Pain
    Stumbling
    Drenched
    Sadness
    Pain
    Dancing in the rain

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is tired
    sleeping
    past
    alarms
    beeping
    sleeping
    from
    lack
    of
    sleeping
    tired is she

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are one
    Lost
    and
    Uncertain
    about
    Every
    Little
    Thing
    They
    Do
    Are they one?

    ReplyDelete

Day #30: Final Poem!

Let's wind up our month of poetry writing with a poem about... our month of poetry writing! Consider an epistolary poem (letter form) wr...