Saturday, April 10, 2021

Day #10: Haiku

 

Inspiration: Haiku

The haiku is a short three-line poem that uses sensory language to capture a feeling or image.

According to my poet friend David Duer, "haiku are often inspired by nature, a moment of beauty, or a poignant experience. Traditionally, the poem couples a spontaneous observation containing a direct or indirect reference to a season (kigo) with a subtle commentary on that observation."

The form consists of 17 syllables:
a line of 5 syllables,
a second line of 7 syllables,
and the last line of 5 syllables.







I recently learned the word "petrichor," so I wrote 13 haiku about the word! You don't need to go crazy like I did, but you might enjoy writing a sequence of haiku that are somehow related.

See if you have fully embraced the meaning of "petrichor" after reading my poem!

Thirteen Ways of Smelling Petrichor
by Allison Berryhill

I knew scent of rain
meeting dust, but did not know
the word: petrichor

Smell of rain on dust
universal memory
the word? petrichor

raindrops pelt the dust
a song of scent arises
it is petrichor

an open window
the first droplets pelt the dust
welcome petrichor

when arid meets rain
my dusty hours quench(ed)
your smile petrichor

we farmers love dirt
when rain hits dust we rejoice
and dance petrichor

when the day’s dullness
is broken by a startled
glint, it’s petrichor

petrichor petri
chor petrichor petrichor
petrichor petri

I learned “petrichor”
the word said pay attention
notice rain on dust

dry tongue swells with want
give me wet relief
oh sweet petrichor

I have lost my god
but clouded sky touches
my soul: petrichor

Ashes to ashes
dust to dust I hear the dirge
yet still know petrichor

I will look to find
moments where dust meets the rain
I smell petrichor.

Thanks to Ethical ELA for many of the prompts I'm adapting for my students this month.

6 comments:

  1. I knew sight of sun
    Listening to bird's cool call
    I love the country

    Smell of flowers here
    Beauties here big and small too
    The country this is

    When I think of home
    The beauty of the country
    Comes to my chill mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parker, your poems continue to delight me as a reader! You zero in on specifics and pay attention to the sound of your words (cool call).

      Delete
  2. The feeling before
    A possible win or lose
    The fight of the now

    This feeling can’t change
    The out come that is all set
    Can only be changed

    By the feeling of
    Who will want to win it more
    It is all mental

    Sorry about posting late, I didn't have my computer on me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dark falling rain drops
    Splatter the side of the house
    As I lay in bed

    A flickering lamp
    And a book filled with wonder
    And a dark, night sky

    The books promises
    Wonderful tales of glory
    Wrapped into one page

    How I love this place
    The calm, silent, peaceful bliss
    of reading in bed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Season's almost done
    Regionals is coming up
    I can't wait to go

    This year it is close,
    only in Cedar Rapids.
    Closest one we'll get.

    I'm slightly nervous.
    I've been working hard all year.
    Can you wish me luck?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I knew it,
    The Devil's advocate she,
    Embraced it like child.

    Name of no meaning,
    Words of false angels that sing,
    Her darkened gaze pierce.

    ReplyDelete

Day #30: Final Poem!

Let's wind up our month of poetry writing with a poem about... our month of poetry writing! Consider an epistolary poem (letter form) wr...